Friday, March 22, 2013

Breaking Bread


There few things more comforting than a freshly baked loaf of bread.  It brings people together, it comforts our appetites and our souls.
   
I have heard all about these No Knead dough recipes, yet I resisted.  How can a no knead dough be better than a dough I worked so hard to create?  I needed to knead.  

I heard Petey sing the praises of her no knead dough and she was obviously impressed with this method.  

I thought I should give it a whirl, what did I have to loose?  Flour, water, yeast and salt - that's it. 


You just measure 3 cups flour, 1 tsp yeast, 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 2/3 cups water into a bowl.   


Mix it all up.


Cover it with plastic wrap.


Set it aside on the counter for at least 12 hours but I have let mine sit for as long as 36 hours.  



The dough will be bubbly on top, very wet and very stretchy.  I use a silicone spatula to just scrape it onto a well floured silicone mat.  


Dust the top of the dough well with flour.  


Gently stretch the dough into a rectangle.  You don't want to completely de-gas the dough.  
Remember, no kneading.  

Fold the dough into thirds, like folding a letter. 


Then fold it into thirds again.



Using well floured hands, gently turn and shape the dough into a ball.  


It should look something like this. 


I then spray a piece of parchment with cooking spray so the dough doesn't stick while it rises.  


Cover the dough and set it aside to rise for 2 hours.

Pre-heat your oven and either a dutch oven or  heavy lidded oven safe pot to 450.





Now this is where it can get a little tricky.  Some people add the dough to the hot pan without removing the pan from the oven.  
Personally, I prefer to take it out, set it on a hot pad on a wooden cutting board.  


Replace the hot lid.
 

 Place back into 450 oven for 30 minutes.


After 30 minutes remove the lid.


Continue baking for another 20 minutes.

The internal temp should be at least 200 degrees.


Now for the hard part. 
You really should wait about 20 minutes for the bread to cool and complete baking as it cools.  

Yeah, right!  
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment